Tuesday, December 27, 2005
Thursday, July 07, 2005
Kandice helping paint a house.
And some proof that others in the group are working as well.
But there is still time for fun in the sun and the surf.
I am borrowing a high speed network internet connection from one of our presenters who is staying at a nearby hotel. So finally I can upload a few pictures and let you know that we really are alive and well here in Florida.
There have been a few minor sunburns and only one major one that resulted in blisters, but that was the nurse's son, so he had to tough it out on his own. Kayla, everyone is doing great and having fun, including Grandma. She has been a real blessing to us and to our trip; thank you for sharing her with us. Kandice is having a wonderful time (see her picture below) and has been very involved in everything that we've been doing. She's just a little under the weather today from a touch of stomach trouble and maybe a bit of the flu, but she felt well enough to go swimming this evening at our "Low Boil." A Low Boil is shrimp, smoked sausage, potatoes, and corn on the cob cooked all together and eaten with no utensils! Mmm, tasty, and fresh shrimp!
Here are some picture from our week. We'll have a bunch more at an upcoming slide slow at church I'm sure.
Here we are outside Redeemer Lutheran in Macon, GA.
Outside our Saturday night home
Our Macon hosts, the Rodgers
Who were nice enough to bring us a true Southern Breakfast!
The Sanctuary at Redeemer
Tuesday, July 05, 2005
We have spent Monday and Tuesday working on a variety of projects around Ft. Pierce, doing painting, insulation, carrying sheetrock, and repairing carpentry. Everyone is doing well and having fun. I do have some picture that I want to share so I hope to find a WiFi connection and pass them along to you.
Thanks for your support,
Friday, July 01, 2005
Here are the plans for our trip so that you can follow along at home!
- Friday, July 1, 2005 – Wasilla, AK
- 10:00 p.m. – Gather at GSLC
Parents – Sign Servanthood in the Sun Permission Forms!
Adult Chaperones Meet
Tara Wreyford develops Covenant of Conduct with group
Check-In for Delta Flights online
Commission and Communion service
- 11:30 p.m. – Depart for Ted Steven’s Anchorage International Airport
Rides coordinated by Michelle Boyden
- Saturday, July 2, 2005 – In Transit to Macon, GA
- 1:00 a.m. – Arrive at ANC airport and finish checking in
- 2:40 a.m. – Delta #1233 from Anchorage, AK to Salt Lake City, UT
- 9:13 a.m. – Arrive in SLC
Rendezvous with Gloria
- 10:30 a.m. – Delta #387 from Salt Lake City, UT to Atlanta, GA
- 4:05 p.m. – Arrive in Atlanta
Pick up vans (include 3 confirmation numbers)
- 5:00 p.m. – Depart ATL for The Lutheran Church of the Redeemer in Macon, GA
390 Pierce Avenue; Macon, GA 31204; 478-742-4281
- 7:30 – Arrive at Redeemer
Dinner provided by Christian Action Group
Overnight at Redeemer
- Sunday, July 3, 2005 – In Transit to Ft. Pierce, FL
- Breakfast – either simple food at the church or eat out before church
Pack vehicles except for traveling clothes if different from church clothes
Clean areas that we used
- 10:30 a.m. – Worship at Redeemer, followed by Lemonade in the Shade
- Noon (or earlier) – Depart for St. Peter Lutheran Church in Ft. Pierce
2900 S. Jenkins Rd.; Ft. Pierce, FL; 561-461-7431
Late Drive-Thru lunch on the road somewhere
Stop at Florida Welcome Center for Pictures
- 7:00 p.m. – Arrive at St. Peter in Ft. Pierce
- Monday, July 4 through Friday, July 8 – Ft. Pierce, FL
Participate in the many activities of the Servanthood in the Sun program.
- Saturday, July 9, 2005 – Orlando, FL
- Noon – Program concludes
- Afternoon – Fun Day, most likely at Walt Disney World
5:00 – Andy or someone to church to get keys
- Night – Stay at park until the very end (always in groups of 3 or more)
Stay at Trinity Lutheran Church in Kissimmee
3016 West Vine Street (US 192), Kissimmee FL USA 34741
Church Phone: 407-847-4204
- Sunday, July 10, 2005 – In-Transit to Valdosta, GA
- Morning and Early Afternoon – Beach time?
- Afternoon – drive to Valdosta
- 8:00’ish – arrive in Valdosta
- Evening – Stay at Gloria Dei Lutheran Church
2804 Bemiss Rd,; Valdosta, GA 31602
- Monday, July 11, 2005 – Return to Atlanta and on to Anchorage
- Brunch with Gloria Dei youth? Or breakfast in the area (Waffle House?)
- 10:00 a.m. – Depart Valdosta
- 3:00 p.m. – Arrive ATL airport
- 5:45 p.m. – Delta #709 from Atlanta, GA to Salt Lake City, UT
- 7:43 p.m. – Arrive in Salt Lake City
Farewell to Gloria
- 8:55 p.m. – Delta #673 from Salt Lake City, UT to Anchorage, AK
- 11:46 p.m. – Arrive in ANC airport and get rides back home
Monday, June 27, 2005
[I will have copies of this release at Good Shepherd so that parents can sign them on Friday night. Also, please note their restrictions on cell phones and electronics. These supercede what we discussed at our meeting on Sunday, so please do not bring them. -Pastor Andy]
You will have a roll away bed, so you will need to bring a sleeping bag or bedroll and a pillow. You may still want a mat for our nights in Georgia. Bring clothing and other items appropriate to our summer weather, and the work projects.
- Bible - an open heart and desire to serve
- Guitar/musical instruments - Very small ones...like harmonicas
- Camera, film, extra batteries
- Notebook & pen
- Shorts and Long pants
- Fanny pack/Day pack
- “Grubbies” to wear for work projects
- Modest swimsuit and a towel
- Walking/tennis shoes (closed toe)
- Flip-Flops/Sandals (extra shoes)
- Hat, cap or visor for working in the sun*
- Insect Repellent
- Sunglasses & sunscreen (SPF #30)*
- 1 paint brush (optional)
- Water bottle or canteen*
- Work/garden gloves
- Sleeping bag/bed roll/pillow
- Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, wash cloth and towel, etc.)
- A positive attitude, eagerness to learn, and a friendly smile!
*Florida summers are very hot and humid. It is essential you wear light-colored, cool and loose fitting clothing and stay well hydrated. Only modest attire will be permitted for safety reasons. For your health and protection, you must drink plenty of water and apply liberal amounts of sunscreen (minimum SPF #30).
PLEASE WRITE CAMPER’S NAME ON ALL PERSONAL ITEMS (CLOTHING, BEDDING, TOWELS, ETC) in waterproof Permanent Marker.
Medications will be the responsibility of each adult sponsor for the group. (In our case this will be Debbie Hanson) Please bring all medicines in original container with complete administration and storage directions clearly indicated. Further, enclose medicines in a Ziploc bag with your camper’s name clearly written in permanent marker on the bag.
If you have any questions about camp, registration, or any other concerns prior to or during camp please call Denise Baringer at 727.560.6241. Please bring all completed forms to camp with you. Health forms will be accepted without a Dr.’s signature.
Youth and Young Adult Disaster Response Coordinator
Enclosure: Parent Permission Form
Lutheran Outdoor Ministries of Florida
3815 W. State St, Tampa FL 33609-1259
Phone 813.801.9600 Fax 813.350.0664
SERVANTHOOD IN THE SUN - PARENT PERMISSION FORM
Our Program Committee and Planning Team have been busy putting together final details to make Servanthood in the Sun Week a fun and meaningful experience for your youth.
Servanthood in the Sun includes: Swimming Off-site work projects
Off-site field trip to see fireworks on 4th of July
Insurance coverage for these activities is not provided by LOMF. If you wish your youth to participate in these activities, we must have a copy of your permission on file. Please sign the form below and bring it with you to Servanthood in the Sun.
Youth and Young Adult Disaster Response Coordinator
I waive any claims for personal injury or property damage that may occur as a result of my child’s participation in the following activities at Servanthood in the Sun:
Swimming Off-site work projects Off-site field trip to see fireworks on 4th of July
In consideration for ____________________________________’s (camper’s name) participation in above noted activities, I hereby grant to Lutheran Outdoor Ministries of Florida (LOMF), the Florida-Bahamas Synod of the Evangelical Church in America, and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and their agents a release of all legal and equitable claims, actions, or suits that may arise as a result of the above named camper’s participation in planned program activities.
This release is to be read broadly and include transportation to and from planned program activities and transportation while involved in planned program activities.
Parent/Guardian Signature Date
Girls, no short shorts. If you wear halter tops or midriffs in our free time, they should not be low cut and you will also need to wear a swim suit top, sports bra, or another layer. Skirts should also not be short, short.
Guys & Girls, please do not wear any low rider waistlines on any clothing. Clothing should at all times cover all underwear.
Please make sure all T-Shirts and clothing model appropriate messages. If any chaperone believes what you are wearing is inappropriate, you will be asked to change. So think while you are packing.
Sunday, June 26, 2005
Sorry to just now answer this--I have had major computer problems. We have rollaways so only sleeping bags are needed. Work clothes include jeans and at least one long sleeve shirt. Work gloves would be nice, but not necessary. An assortment of shorts and t shirt are all that is needed. Towels and washrags are needed as well. We have the rest of the tools.
Remember, please Pack Lightly, but also try and remember all of the things that we're going to need. Two duffle bags are better than one overgrown suitcase.The Packing List:
- Sleeping Bag/Bedroll/Blanket/Air mattress
- 2 sets work clothes with long pants
- Work shorts
- Beach clothes/swimsuit (modest)
- Other clothes
- Lightweight, long-sleeve shirt & pants
- Hat (lightweight, cover top of ears)
- Shoes (closed toed and closed heeled for work), tennis shows, sandals
- Water Bottle
- Sunscreen & DEET bug repellant
- Clothes for Worship
- Camera, Music player, Cell phone - YOUR PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Personal Spending Money ($40-$80)
- Picture ID
- Book to read on plane flights
- "Shoveable" luggage (bear in mind, you may have to have it in your lap or next to you)
Friday, June 24, 2005
Next Friday night 14 members of Good Shepherd Lutheran Church's high school youth group (JAM - Jesus Always Moves) will be boarding a plane for Atlanta and then 3 mini-vans to drive the rest of the way to Ft. Pierce, FL for our week of service and learning. We are joining with Lutheran Outdoor Ministries of Florida for their Servanthood in the Sun program. Please keep the youth and the 4 adults who will be joining them in your prayers for the next weeks.
We will be traveling to Atlanta on Delta #1233
Leaving Anchorage, AK (ANC) @ 2:40 am on 2 Jul 2005 and arriving in
Salt Lake City, UT (SLC) @ 9:13 am on 2 Jul 2005 connecting to
Delta #387 at 10:20 am on 2 Jul 2005 and arriving in
Atlanta, GA (ATL) @ 4:05 pm on 2 Jul 2005.
Make sure you have your Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan cards with you so you can earn miles for this flight.