Mighty Backup is a service that communicates with your cell phone directly and synchronizes your phone's contact list with a website. They have instructions for using it to upgrade to a new phone and you can also use the website to add contact information to your phones contact list using a full sized keyboard instead of the one on the phone. I use it for free since I signed up for an online account with Verizon Wireless, which, thanks to IN calling may very well be the preferred carrier of the ELCA Youth Ministry Network. If it weren't free, it would only be $1.99/month, which is probably worth it for the peace of mind it provides. Verizon customers can visit www.getbackupnow.com to see how to add this service to their phones.
If you're not on Verizon, but you are on Alltel, Bell Mobility, CellularOne, Cellular South, or Midwest Wireless you can visit www.mightybackup.com/get to see how to install the application to your phone. They also say that they are working on developing versions of their software for users of "Cingular, T-Mobile and many other networks." Once you have everything working, you can even go onto the website and print out a hard copy of the information.
Your specific instructions may vary slightly, but what I did was the following:
- Went to the "Get it Now" menu on my phone and downloaded the Backup Assistant application.
- Ran the application and picked a PIN number.
- Picked the time I wanted to automatic backup to run each day.
- Ran the first backup and verified that it worked.
- Visited the website and logged in with my phone number and PIN.
- Printed out a good old fashioned paper copy of the information! (Well, actually, I didn't. Just not my style! *grin* )
God's blessings on the ministry you do each day,
Pastor Andy Arnold
ELCA Youth Ministry Network's Tech Geek